Tuesday, January 22, 2008

New Law Schools to Consider

A current client sent me an e-mail this morning inquiring about some up-and-coming law schools and I think it's worth sharing with my readers:

As I'm reading up on different law schools, there are some law schools that are expected to get ABA accreditation as soon as they become eligible and they are affiliated with some respectable undergraduate institutions, which I suppose makes it a safe bet that it'll receive accreditation. The two I'm thinking of are UC Irvine (http://www.law.uci.edu/) expected to open in Fall 2009 and Drexel who are already taking applications (http://www.drexel.edu/law/). What is your advice for students thinking about applying to these law schools?

This is a great question. I've already posted about UC Irvine's law school and I expect many of my clients next year to apply here for the chance to attend a public law school in California. My guess is they'll be wanting people right around the 160s right off the bat, especially with the prestige of their Dean. Orange County needs a really good law school - LA is not a convenient commute. I think it'll hurt Chapman the most - people who have to be in Orange County and have exceptional credentials will probably choose Irvine (public tuition and the automatic prestige of a UC school).

Many of my clients are applying to Drexel this year - I agree that its prospects are excellent since it's attached to a solid undergraduate school and in a city where it's very hard to get into law school without a 160 LSAT score (Temple, Villanova, and Penn are its only neighbors).

Here is information about the University of Phoenix (Arizona's first private law school) It's sister school is Florida Coastal Law School. These are for-profit law schools and will probably always be Tier 4, whereas Drexel and Irvine are stars I expect to rise quite quickly.

4 comments:

  1. I got a question - I got fired from a job in late 2006, I worked there 7 months...should I put it on the applications? The only problem is - it asks for your "reason for leaving". But otherwise, if I dont put it, could that be an issue down the road? Just thought I'd ask the expert ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very important to be candid on law school applications - remember that you'll be applying for the bar exam moral character and fitness clearance in a few years.
    Everyone has been fired from a job at some point if they have any work experience at all. Try to think of smart words to explain the situation like "position terminated" or "laid -off" or "budget cuts" - whatever is appropriate to the situation. If it's more complicated than that and you were accused of wrongdoing, then you should probably attach and addendum explaining the situation. In most cases it's just personality issues. Also, you've probably been working since then and a letter from an employer (LOR) might alleviate any concern.
    In the end, unless it was a question of dishonesty or unethical conduct, it's just not going to be that big a deal.
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty bad at my job, and I went on the internet a lot. It wasn't what they might consider "appropriate" for work all the time either. But as far as it being dishonesty, I wouldn't say that necessarily. Perhaps I should contact the employer and find out what they would say if they were asked about me in the future. Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann,

    Re UC Irvine, I think it will be a huge hit on Dean Chemerinsky's name alone. He is probably the LEAD constitutional law scholar. His supplments have saved my friends nad me in con law I and II. :)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete